Siyabonga Ngezana in training

Ngezana explains Bafana World Cup squad confusion

Home » Ngezana explains Bafana World Cup squad confusion

FCSB defender Siyabonga Ngezana has moved to clarify reports suggesting he had been left out of Bafana Bafana’s 2026 FIFA World Cup plans, saying the situation stems from a breakdown in communication between his club and national team information. 

The confusion emerged after comments from FCSB interim coach Lucian Filip, who told Romanian media the former Kaizer Chiefs centre-back was disappointed at missing Hugo Broos’ provisional squad. However, the Bafana Bafana coach has not yet officially announced his selection.

Broos has, however, provided SAFA with a 55-member provisional squad, which was sent to FIFA last week. From that provisional squad, he is expected to pick his final 27-member squad that will travel to Mexico later this month. 

The team resumes camp on 25 May, 2026 and will play a friendly match against Nicaragua on 29 May at the Orlando Amstel Arena in Johannesburg.

SIYABONGA NGEZANA CLARIFIES SELECTION MISCOMMUNICATION  

Siyabonga Ngezana

Speaking from Romania, Ngezana explained that the remarks were made under a false assumption that the squad had already been released.

“There is a misunderstanding. My club did not have the correct information and believed the squad had already been announced,” he said. “Even yesterday, management asked me when the squad would be released. It was simply miscommunication.”

Club president Mihai Stoica had earlier suggested Ngezana’s World Cup chances were in doubt due to a knee issue, after the defender opted against surgery on a meniscus injury that also affected his hamstring recovery.

Ngezana, who missed recent Bafana friendlies while recovering, has since returned to full fitness and played 90 minutes in FCSB’s Romanian Super Liga playoff clash against FC Hermannstadt.

“I’m feeling good and fully fit now,” he added. “Everything that was said was based on misunderstanding.”

The defender’s return comes as Hugo Broos prepares to announce his final squad for South Africa’s World Cup qualifiers and the build-up to the 2026 tournament in Canada, Mexico and the USA, where Bafana have been drawn into a tough Group A. They open their campaign in Mexico City against the host nation on June 11, 2026.

Leave Your Thoughts Here...

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *